Pages

Pages

Thursday, October 6, 2011

one man's trash...

One man's trash is another man's treasure. 
I am that other man. And I see potential in that one man's trash.

I love it when people have a 'free box' at a yard sale. Essentially they're saying, I don't think this is worth anything, but instead of just throwing it out, I'll see if someone wants it. 

Here's a few things I grabbed from a 'free box' recently:


Navy blue and yellow elastic, turquoise necklace, and a couple fabric hoops.


I immediately had plans for these discarded items.
The navy and yellow elastic was too large to be a headband elastic (plus those never stay put on my head!), but it was the perfect size to be a waisted belt...
aaaaand I had this perfect mustard yellow flower sitting around that I pulled off a headband I bought.

Yes, I thought for two seconds that I could pull off wearing a huge flower on my head but quickly realized I cannot.

So with a little hot glue and a clip, I was able to add a flower to my elastic belt.





Don't be alarmed, I didn't really wear it with this sweater. It was just for show.

On to the necklace. In the free box people's defense, this necklace was a little wonky.
Chalk it up to the fact that it was strung on metal wiring.


So I de-strung it. Un-strung it? I took the beads off the wire.


Fresh beads to work with.


 I took some fishing line and re-strung the beads.


Once I had a full circle, I cut two pieces of brown & white striped ribbon and added it to either side.


Now when it's worn it looks like a double strand necklace.


Pretty good for free, eh?
I have a plan for the fabric hoop, too. You'll see.

While we're on the topic of free things from yard sales, I also got these chubby little guys this summer.

It was a neighborhood yard sale and these people put a bunch of stuff outside with a sign that said "Everything is free". I feel like most people passed it by, assuming that if it was all free, it was all junk.
Not this girl. Although, while I was distracted by these chubby little quail babies, my friend Kerry snagged 100ft of beautiful olive green grosgrain ribbon. For free.
Crazy, right?!


What's the best thing you've ever gotten for free?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Will blog for comments.